Windows 7 has introduced a new and very useful feature to increase the security of your data. As the world is going mobile so there is a great chance of losing confidential information which we are carrying with us. With the increase of USB drives the possibility of this disaster increases. So, to overcome this problem Microsoft introduces BitLocker To Go feature in Windows 7.
Using BitLocker To Go you can now encrypt and make your USB drives password protected. Encrypting USB drives using BitLocker To Go is very easy.
How to use Windows 7 BitLocker To Go USB
1. Insert the USB drive in USB port and wait to get it detected.
2. Now open Control Panel and select BitLocker from the list of Panels there or you can simply go to My Computer and right click on your USB Drive and select BitLocker Drive encryption option.
3. In BitLocker Window you find your drives listed, now click on Turn on BitLocker viewed in front of your USB drive.
4. Wait for while until the BitLocker initializes your USB drive.
5. Now, Provide the password to unlock the drive or if you have smart card facility then select the other option too and click next.
6. Now save the recovery key to a file or print it directly on a paper, choice is yours, then click next. Recovery key is used to recover to data from the USB drive in the worst conditions when you forgot your password or lose your smart card.
7. Save the recovery key file at any safe place in your computer so that no one else can access it.
8. Now you are ready to start encrypting your USB drive, just click on start Encrypting.
9. After starting the encryption process do not remove the USB drive until the process will complete.
10. You can the status of encryption process in the message window. If you want to remove your USB drive in middle of the encryption due to any reason. just pause the encryption process and remove it safely and when you insert it next time it will continue from where it was paused.
11. In BitLocker Window, now a new option will appear “Manage Bitlocker”. Click on that to manage the various options.
12. There are various options available to manage like to change the password, remove password, adding smart card later, to get the recovery key again and to automatically unlock drive on your personal computer where you encrypt it.
13. In while as the encryption process will complete it gives you the following message. The completion time will depend on the size of the drive.
14. Now check in the explorer, the USB drive got a lock icon also. When the icon is in golden color, it means the drive is locked and if it is in grey color then it’s status is unlocked.
15. When you try to access the drive, the following pop-up window will appear, asking for password to unlock the drive.
This is all what you have to do to secure your data. If you have no more requirement of encryption and safety on your USB drive. just give the password and give a format. To format the drive, right click on drive icon in explorer and select “Format” option from the list.