Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and that it has not been used on more computers than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. In this way, activation helps prevent software counterfeiting. The information collected during activation will not be used to contact you.
While activating Windows 7 online you might get activation error with error code 0xC004C008. This may occur due to several reasons, some of them are as follows:
- Your computer’s hardware has been changed.
- Windows 7 was reinstalled on the same computer.
- Your Windows 7 product key was transferred from another computer.
- The Windows 7 product key that you’re trying to use has already been used on the maximum number of computers that your license allows.
If you changed your hardware, reinstalled Windows 7, or transferred your product key, you’ll need to activate Windows 7 using the automated telephone system.
To activate using the telephone:
- Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.
- Click Show me other ways to activate.
- Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.
- Click use the automated phone system and then click Next.
- Click the location nearest to you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.
- Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.
- When prompted, enter the installation ID that’s listed on your screen into your phone’s keypad.
- Write down the confirmation ID that the phone system gives you.
- Under Step 3, type the confirmation ID into the spaces provided, click Next, and then follow the instructions.
- If activation isn’t successful, stay on the line to be transferred to a product activation agent who can assist you.