I know you have downloaded Windows 8 Developer Preview, but when you tried installing it using and Virtual Machine Software you got the bad sad smiley face Blue screen saying HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. So, here is the simple tutorial to install Windows 8 Developer Preview Build using Oracle’s Virtual Box tool.
Note: Windows Virtual PC or older versions of VMware Workstation prior to V8 are not compatible with Windows 8.
First I tried installing it using Windows Virtual PC but got that Blue Screen the I downloaded Virtual Box and tried installing Windows 8 and got success.
Steps to install Windows 8 Developer Preview on Virtual Machine
1. Download Oracle’s Virtual Box and install it.
2. Now create a new virtual machine. A wizard will start, follow the instructions step by step.
3. In VM Name and OS Type, Selecting Operating System as Microsoft Windows and set version to Other Windows.
4. Now set the Memory size according to your preference, I suggest to allocate 1GB Memory Space if you have 3+ GB Memory installed on your PC.
5. If you have an existing Virtual Hard Disk, use it or else Create new hard disk.
6. Finally click on Create and your Virtual Machine is ready to use.
7. Now click on Device tab and select CD/DVD devices and choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file and browse for the Windows 8 ISO file which you have downloaded.
8. After selecting the ISO file, press (Right CTRL + R) to reboot the machine. Now wait while the image initializes and the installation process begins.
9. Follow the steps of installation and wait for the installation process to complete.
10. After the installation process will be completed, Windows will ask you to Personalize your settings, If you want to check all settings on your own, click on custom and follow the wizard or click Use express settings for one click setup.
11. On log on screen, set Username and Password and click Next.
12. Now you will see the Start Screen of Windows 8 ready in front you.
That’s all you need to do to successfully install Windows 8 on a Virtual Machine. If you are still facing any issues, do let me know by commenting below. I will be happy to help!