Windows Imaging Format or WIM is a disk image format. Microsoft developed the WIM file format and allows people to run the same Windows file system on multiple machines.
The WIM file format was introduced with the Windows Vista operating system and exists even today.
Using WIM files, people can choose to update Windows, installed drivers, and other components of an operating system without having to restart the system.
Once you create a WIM file to be deployed on other systems, it is best to verify the contents of the file to ensure that all the file systems have been saved correctly in the file.
Moreover, opening the WIM file before deploying on other systems ensures that the files aren’t faulty or corrupted, which otherwise may cause the system on which the file is executed to become damaged or corrupted beyond repair.
How to Open WIM Files on Windows 10?
If you wish to open WIM files on a desktop or laptop running the Windows 10 operating system, below we have listed out the various ways you can do the same.
Method 1: Open WIM Files using 7-ZIP on Windows 10
7-Zip is a well-known open-source software that lets you compress, decompress files and folders on Windows. The 7-Zip software can also be used to open WIM files on Windows 10 computers.
- To begin, download and install the 7-Zip software for Windows 10 from here.
- After the installation of 7-Zip finishes on your PC, you can open the WIM file using 7-Zip by either double-clicking on the file.
- Alternatively, you can right-mouse-click on the file and select “7-Zip” within the “Open With” option in the drop-down menu.
Method 2: Use FileViewer Plus Software on Windows 10 to Open WIM Files
The FileViewer Plus is a universal file viewer software for the Windows operating system. The software supports over 300 varieties of file types, thus allowing you to open almost every type of file that you wish.
You can download the FileViewer Plus software on your Windows computer and then try to open the WIM file on your computer to view the WIM file contents.
Method 3: Use PeaZip to Open WIM Files on Windows 10 Computers
PeaZip is free software that, like 7Zip mentioned above, allows users to compress, decompress, encrypt/decrypt files and folders on their Windows computer.
One of the highlight features of PeaZip is that it allows opening files that have the WIM file extension.
Below is how to open WIM files using PeaZip:
- Download and install the PeaZip free Windows utility software from here on to your computer.
- Navigate to the WIM file on your computer.
- Using the mouse/trackpad of your computer, right-click on the WIM file and then click on the “Open With” option.
- Within the Open With window, select the PeaZip software to open the WIM file using the PeaZip software on your computer.
The three methods mentioned in this article to open files with WIM file extension are the easiest ones you can follow.
All the tools to open WIM files mentioned in this article are trusted ones and are commonly used by Windows OS users to open WIM files on Windows 10 desktops and laptops.